Monday, May 4, 2015

Mini Visits

Classroom Visits

I can remember way back to when I was first training as a teacher.  I had three practicums, with three associate teachers.  I remember them fondly and appreciated at the time the step learning curve I was on.  There was however one associate who stood out - his strategy was to farm me out.  Each day he would point me off to another teacher "go see Jones teach - she's great with year 10's" or "go see Smithy teach - he's super organised".  So there I was training to be a Mathematics teacher with an associate putting me in Art and PE and Science etc.  But actually this was the most beneficial time in my training - you see each new class, each new teacher I picked up one more strategy or one more approach or one more management style. 

Last year when I had the opportunity to come along and see many of you teach reminded me of that experience.  I could see that Waihi College has very high standards of teaching across the board with pockets of excellence.  Again I found myself thinking "I like that method" or "that's a great resource" and thinking about how this could be adapted to my practice.  


ERO in there 2014 visit pointed to one of the College's 'Quality Assurance's Next Steps' "is to ensure good/effective practice is far more consistent across the school".

This term one of the things that we (myself and the Learning Leaders) will endeavour to do is to provide all the staff with an opportunity for you to get around to your colleagues classes.  That is to come to your classes and free you up for 10 - 15 mins to go see your colleagues and students.  

Who could you visit?

  1. Colleagues from your curriculum area - picking up tips within your subject.
  2. Colleagues that share a class - seeing how teachers operate with the same students you teach.
  3. Colleagues from elsewhere - don't underestimate the quality that exists in other areas.

The hope here is that you'll be able to pick up some ideas, skills and new habits from your colleagues.  That the conversations you have about your teaching with your colleagues will be more meaningful as you can specifically talk about the dynamic in the classrooms.  

So from here we'd like for you to consider talking with your colleagues, those staff you respect (or have heard good things about) and gauge their availability to a visit.  If you have not class (non contact) you can use that time - or alternatively if you want cover please let me know.  I'm very happy to free you up to get this happening.  I'm hoping that in this year you will be able to visit at least three different teachers.  

This post is in relationship to RTC #  1. "Establish and maintain effective professional relationships focused on the learning and well-being of ākonga - i. engage in ethical, respectful, positive and collaborative professional relationships with: teaching colleagues."

No comments:

Post a Comment