Monday, April 27, 2015

Book Review

Changing on the Job : Developing Leaders for a Complex World. By Jennifer Garvey Berger

This was a most excellent read.  Jennifer Garvey Berger is a kiwi educational theorist from the Wellington region.  She has written this book about managing change as professionals.  Although this book is not specifically about secondary education or teachers it is a valid and engaging read for anyone serious about professional development.  I found that in my role of facilitating some of the professional development here at school that Changing on the Job caused me to be very introspective and reconsider many of my assumptions on how teachers progress in their development.

Jennifer uses a pragmatic style of writing where she presents hypothetical situations and exams a series of ways you could potentially approach them.  I found that she accurately described the traits I have with problems (i.e. seeking immediate solutions) and works coherently through the subtle distinctions in what constitutes the various 'forms of mind' (I've discovered that I'm a 'self authored' form of mind).


Garvey Berger makes use of some powerful imagery in her writing.  If found that her metaphor of growing in skills and knowledge like the rings of a tree as particularly useful.
"From our earliest days, each of us has been engaged in an ongoing journey to learn and to grow.  These two human forces are often connected, but they are not the same.  Learning can be about acquiring a new skill or knowledge base.  If I master PowerPoint in order to put together a slide show for a client, I have learnt something.  I have new information in my head.  But have I really grown?  From a developmental perspective, real growth requires some quantitative shift, not just in knowledge, but in perspective or way of thinking.  Growing is when the form or our understanding changes; we often call this "transformation."... Each moment of our development, then, is a potentially term form of mind that, with the right support, can be more expansive.  As we grow, the previous form is overtaken by the new form, leaving traces of less-mature form behind like rings in a tree trunk."

Overall Changing on the Job is a very engaging book with a global appreciation of what it means to develop as a leader.  I found that chapters 3 and 4 were the most theoretical (and therefore personally the harder parts to read), but that there were immensely power chapters towards the end - especially 'transformational habits of mind'.

I would recommend this book to teachers who, in a mentoring capacity, have students of leadership potential.  I found Changing on the Job made me better aware of the spectrum of leadership and how differently the student leaders may view the world to me.  I would also recommend this book to any teacher that is looking at the option of taking position of management.

Here is a YouTube clip which has Jennifer Garvey Berger presenting her own book.



This post relates to RTC#8. "Demonstrate in practice their knowledge and understanding of how ākonga learn." and RTC#7. "Promote a collaborative, inclusive and supportive learning environment."

No comments:

Post a Comment