Thursday, August 14, 2014

Book Review - Todd Whitaker


17 Things That Matter Most by Todd Whitaker

Review by Justin

I love to read.  I especially like fantasy novels by authors that 'take me into another world'.  A favourite annual Christmas holiday event for me is reading a book through no interruptions.  Very few times do I find an educational 'how to' book that fits into that category.   However Todd Whitakers What Great Teachers Do Differently: 17 things that matter most does.  It is a short book (around 120 pages) and was a one day read. 

Nicola, my wife, is also a teacher.  I found that I popped my head up often reading her an exert and saying "listen to this, this is so true…". 

Whitaker style is somewhat formulaic, not so much as a recipe book, but delivering chapters each with a pearl of educational wisdom.  The points are made with clear illustration - narratives that concrete in the idea.  It is clear to me that Whitaker was a great school leader.  He offers insight into typical school life and had me remembering those teachers I had when I was at school. 

One of the things that I found refreshing is that Whitaker constantly speaks of 'greatness' in teaching as a destination - something to aspire/aim towards.  I found that whilst reading I was constantly checking off in my head my habits as a classroom teacher.

This was a book that after I finished I found myself sweeping back into.  It was so sound educationally and written in such an easily digestible manner that I've gone back through and collected my favourite quotes and decided to make a wall display that other teachers may discover some useful ideas. 

I would definitely recommend any teacher to read this book.  It was a light read and one that you won't have to slog through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment