Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Homework vs Prep vs Study vs Learning

Homework - Discussion Ideas
I grew up in an intimate relationship with homework.  Starting high school at a boarding school I believe that the hostel managers figured it was easier to control teenage boys if we were forced into silence sitting in the classroom for two hours six nights a week.  I certainly don't think the reason for these long periods of "prep" was about quality learning. 

The strange thing was, however, this is something that actually took place (well for me anyway).  I was malleable, I was in fear of the consequences of not quietly sitting there (bamboo cane).  Given that there was no iPods or mp3 players or even magazines - I took up revision of my school work.   I found that I was sharper and more able in my classes.  

Now we've evolved of teaching and learning to a stage where as educators we are doing new things - it is good to review homework. 

From an interesting article on Edutopia Glenn Whitman says;

"Homework can be a powerful learning tool -- if designed and assigned correctly. ...It should be challenging and engaging enough to allow for deliberate practice of essential content and skills."

From the NZherald website there was an article which found that 69% of kiwi kids do actually do homework and the average amount of time per night of homework was 53mins for under 13 year olds and 1 hour and 13 minutes for over 13 year olds.

Finally there is a Waihi College Board of Trustees 'Statement on Homework' which states...
  • Year 7 & 8 pupils may expect to have about one hour of homework
  • Years 9 & 10 pupils may expect to have about one and half to two hours of homework
  • Senior pupils could expect an average half an hour per subject per period.   
We will have a meeting afterschool Tuesday 12th in the staff room to discuss various points around homework.   All staff are warmly invited. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment