Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Growth Mindsets

Checking Our Assumptions.
One of the most vivid memories of my first year I had as a teacher was Mr Flinders the teacher in the classroom next to me.  He can be best described as a *seasoned campaigner*, a likeable guy, respected by the students, but set in his ways.  I can clearly remember him saying to me "Justin - you just can't teach smarts".  These words impressed upon me - I liked these words

You see the idea was appealing to me - it provided me with a quick mantra that I could use to deflect.  If my classes struggled with the content... "you just can't teach smarts." 

It was deficit thinking in action.  I've seen the same idea presented a million ways...
  • "The family don't value education",
  • "Those students they'll get a job in the factory they don't need my subject",
  • "I taught the brother/sister - this guys just the same"...
We see it getting engrained.  Parents at teacher interviews "I never could do it when I as at school".  Teachers in the staff room "I had that class last year - good luck with them".  Even in the students themselves. 

I think that we need to check these thoughts.  I think that we need to move away from them and value the essence of improvement through education.

Dr Carol Dweck created a very interesting set of work covering this idea under the notion of *Mindset*.  She identifies a fixed mindset or a growth mindset.

Here is a illustration of her idea...






 This post relates to RTC # 8. demonstrate in practice their knowledge and understanding of how ākonga learn.

1 comment:

  1. Put like this it's quite easy to identify students with Fixed mindsets and those with Growth mindsets. One strategy to help teach the Growth mindset could be to encourage students to share their WRONG answers in class rather than the right ones. This illustrates both a student's willingness to take risks and an understanding that mistakes are not something to be hidden away. Clip is only 23 minutes not 40 odd.

    ReplyDelete